GICC's bocce courts ready for play!
In the summer of 2013, two new 10X60 bocce courts were built at The Grenadier Island Country Club, in an area southwest of the dining room.
A 12X24 deck was added on the south side of the courts, making an excellent viewing area for players and spectators. Sunbrellas, tables and chairs, and a portable bar enhance the experience for our members. Two comfortable Adirondack-style chairs have been donated by members;any additional donations of the same are most welcome!
A bocce league will kick off on Tuesdays in July at 9:30 am, corresponding with Ladies Golf, and will be held every Tuesday during the season thereafter. An end-of-season Bocce & Bites party will be held in late August this summer. Please check the Yearbook for more details.
Hunter Grant, Brock Gorrell, and Bill Grimsdale spearheaded the orginal Bocce Committee at GICC. Our current Bocce Co-Chairs are Bud Andress and Rob Miller.
Here are a few items to better familiarize you with the process.
- The club has three sets of bocce balls. A junior set was donated by Doug Thomson, and two senior sets were donated by Hunter Grant. These can be obtained from the coordinators. Please return them, in their respective containers, when play is finished.
- We have a broom for sweeping after play. The surface is Har-Tru, like the tennis courts, and the courts should be swept when your matches are over.
- Please wear shoes that do not have heavy treads. Tennis shoes, Top Siders or similar soles are perfect.
- The coordinators have a set of basic bocce rules if you are new to the sport. It's not that complicated a game! If you wish to look up the rules, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocce.
- Children are welcome, but should be accompanied by an adult when they play.
- If you require the portable bar, please advise the coordinators. Chits will be available to sign for your beverages.
Thanks for a great summer of Bocce! We look forward to seeing you on the courts again in 2017!